As requested by the “nose” the perfumer’s assistant carefully measures the mixtures. Each raw material used is vigilantly checked for quality and dosage. S/he creates the mixtures that are used for tests conducted by technicians. In addition, s/he checks the consistency of the sheet formulation or production order.
Family Business: Creation and Development
Other(s)name(s) standard(s): Chemist assistant, preparatory assistant.
- Manage the collection of raw materials by ensuring good storage conditions and maintaining stock and freshness of each material in the collection.
- Verify the aspect and the smell of raw materials and, if in doubt, alert the perfumer.
- Receive shipments of raw materials and check their individual olfactory quality.
- Weighing the perfumer’s formulas, informing the perfumer of any observations or difficulties.
- Keep a copy of the weighed quantities.
- Ensure reformulation by removing raw materials no longer able to be used.
- Prepare samples for customers using good preparation protocols.
- Create a compositions library.
- Manage the perfumer collection (standard, hearts, etc.) and maintain it in accordance to the perfumer’s needs.
- Be in contact with other departments, in particular, the applications laboratory in order to obtain the non-perfumed base necessary for the perfumer’s development work.
- Perform analysis: flash point, density, refraction index and stability controls: pH, viscosity, color.