The training course at GIP develops trainee’s fundamental knowledge to create and evaluate fragrances by linking traditional and modern techniques through the following steps:
- Know the raw materials and how to use them correctly, in particular, natural materials for which Grasse has long been renowned for.
- Learn the language of perfumery and to know how to classify and recognise the major fragrance groups.
- Discover and know how to create accords, the essence of the art of composition.
- Train in the subtle art of blending.
- Other disciplines fundamental to the creative perfumers and evaluators job are also covered. Included in the curriculum are : international regulations of fragrances and cosmetic products, analysis techniques (gas chromatography and mass spectrometry) and toiletries applications (shampoos, shower gels, creams, etc).
The course lasts for 18 months, from January to December in centre followed by 6 months of internship after the school period. The internship can take place anywhere in the world, in the fragrance industry.
- General features: history of perfumery, chemistry of perfumery, sense of smell, vocabulary of perfume.
- Apprenticeship in raw materials and olfaction: natural and synthetic.
- Accords: olfactory recognition, creating accords, structure of a perfume, study of the main olfactive groups and subgroups and the leading perfumes (genealogy and evaluation)
- Creation: the creation process of present day perfumes, the creation by olfactory imitation, the tools used to analyse the constituents of perfume, creation.
- The application within functional perfumery:
You will have further courses and activities to build your knowledge and experience:
- Perfume and cosmetic legislation
- The marketing of perfume
- Site visits (companies, manufacturers (…) and one trip abroad in a year)
- Fragrance development project
IMPORTANT INFORMATION :
This course delivers a professional certificate validated by Prodarom, the Fragrance Industry French Trade Union (IFRA member). There are 972 hours of training of which 324 are given by accredited creative perfumers or technical experts. The remaining 648 hours are spent doing supervised practical work and visiting factories, laboratories and growers (jasmine, roses, lavender, mimosas, etc). The working langage is English.
The course issues a certificate of “International technical degree in fragrance creation and sensory evaluation” to people who successfully complete the exam. Limited to 12 students. Sponsored each year by a local or international company.
It costs 13 300 euros. There are 12 places in this course for students chosen for their creativity and olfactory talent.
The first step is to send us by email and written in English:
- A detailed curriculum
- A cover letter (min. 2 pages)
Be careful, only applications received between January 1st and July 31th 2022 will be taken into account for the course of the following year (2023).
After receipt of your application by the admissions service, your application is assessed in order to ensure that your profile matches the requested programme and, if necessary, there is not a more suitable programme.
At this stage, it takes about 4 weeks to receive a response by email.
If your application is eligible, you will receive a folder to complete and return to us. Upon receipt, we will propose dates to attend a half-day of admission and interview tests. The cost of the test is 150 €, payable online or on site upon your arrival.
These tests may be conducted in your choice:
- in Grasse (France)
- in New Delhi (India)
- in Shanghai (China)
- in San Paulo (Brazil)
The assessment includes:
- a test of calculation and logic (1 hour)
- a test of creativity (1 hour), around a fragrance
- 2 tests of olfactory recognition, 2 sets of 10 raw materials
- An interview with a perfumer and/or members of the teaching team.
- In the case where the test takes place out of Grasse, an additional interview by videoconference with the members of the teaching team.
After assessing your tests and the interview, you will receive a definite answer as to your eligibility at the beginning of October.
12 candidates will be selected
If you need further information, please contact :